102 Minutes:the untold story of the fight to survive inside the twin towers

We’ve come to know people in the North tower and how they have started their day. We’ve talked about the 1993 bombings and the safety precautions that are in place and those that are absent. We’ve wondered about those who didn’t follow their normal routines and either perished or were save, and now we are in the midst of cataclysm as Flight 11 crashes through the North tower.

We aren’t too far into the book and it might take us quite awhile to get through, but every moment is worth spending with these kids when you see them so engrossed. I’m fascinated by how much they remember and the barrage of questions they ask, all the same questions that would be put forth by me.

Although we haven’t made much headway in pages read, we have certainly made headway in information learned; just enough to be able to follow author Jim Dwyer in the incredible video conference he presented this past Friday. The students were really able to make the connection with what we’ve read thus far with his spoken words.

I was quite touched when he spoke about the heroic gestures of the people in the towers and more so when he talked about his own personal experience that historic September 11th. He was no longer detached from the story, but a part of it and we were able to witness his emotional experience. Needless to say, it was an incredible experience for both myself and the students. I’m very grateful to Jim Dwyer for allowing our 5th graders to participate in the video conference, and to Raquel Ramon, librarian extraordinaire from LBJ high school, for inviting us to join in.

19 thoughts on “102 Minutes:the untold story of the fight to survive inside the twin towers

1. I’m so sorry I missed your presentation, I wanted to ask you a question and here it is, “Why do think Osama sent people to destroy the Twin Towers?”

2. I liked that part too, but the part I liked more was when they talked on the phone even if I didn’t hear it well, I still liked it.

3. I like the book 102 Minutes . When I listened to the author I really understood what the book was about, and when I heard the tape of the people’s voices that were in the towers, I really understood how they felt.

4. MRS. JOHNSON WAS TALKING TO US ABOUT THE BOMBING IN THE NORTH TOWER. NOW MRS. JOHNSON IS TALKING WITH US ABOUT FLIGHT 11 WHEN IT CRASHED. WE AREN’T AS FAR BUT IT MIGHT TAKE US QUITE A WHILE. SHE ALWAYS COMES IN THE MORNING TO READ. I LIKE THE BOOK A LOT. I KNOW WE HAVEN’T GONE TO FAR BUT IT SURE SEEMS INTERESTING.THANK YOU FOR THE VISIT ANY WAY. OH I HAVE QUESTION. WHY DID THE TERORISTS CRASH INTO THE TWIN TOWERS? THANKS A LOT.

5. I wasn’t at the interview, but the book and all the people are interesting.I wish I could have been in the intreview.I want to listen to more of the book, is so interesting.

6. I wanted to know how you got so many people to want to talk about their personnal experiences? I am really find your book interesting.

7. I wanted to know why the author wrote this book? I like that Mrs. Johnson is reading the book to us. Listening to the story makes me feel sad, but I want to learn more about 9/11.