SOMEONE NAMED EVA by Joan M. Wolf

Texas Bluebonnet Award nominee for 2010

Joan M. Wolf’s novel, Someone Named Eva is a startling look at events that took place during WWII that very few people know about. It’s a perfect tie-in to the study of Anne Frank and the Holocaust.

Can Milada find her way home before all her memories slip away and her identity is lost to her forever?

45 thoughts on “SOMEONE NAMED EVA by Joan M. Wolf

1. Wow Ms. Johnson – Way cool book trailer for my book! Thanks so much and hello to all of your students! It’s thrilling to know they will be reading the book I worked so hard to write. I love the fact that when I read a book, I can travel all over the world without even leaving my room. Books have definitely given me “wings” and I hope all your wonderful students work hard to learn how to read. You have to be able to read to fill out a job application, to follow a recipe, and to do most everything in life. Plus, books can be fun! Keep working hard and keep reading those books! Peace, Joan M. Wolf http://www.joanmwolf.com

2. I really liked this book because it had a lot of historical events. My favorite part was when Milada and her mother found each other. This book is very cool, but at the same time very sad. If you like historical fiction books I would really recommend this book to you.
    K.Torres, rm 40, age 11

3. In fifth Grade we read the book “Someone Named Eva”.This book taught me that we were born to love each other,not by our characteristics. We are all the same ,poor,rich,white,black,Jewish,German. We all need to love and respect each other. I think the author did a great job writing this book.

K.Cazares,R.M 34,age 11

4. At Centeno,I read the book Someone Named Eva.It taught me a lot like not to judge people by their looks.This is an interesting book.I realized how bad it feels to be taken from your mother.This book taught me a lesson to treat people like you want to be treated.

A.G.G, age 10, room 34

5. In Mrs.Castaneda’s class, we just finished reading Someone Named Eva by Joan Wolf. I never knew what happened in World War II. This book taught me that everyone is the same not just because how we look, our beliefs or color. I can’t imagine how a human being could be as cruel as the devil. Why would Hitler kill innocent people because of their beliefs? I say thank you to Joan Wolf because she taught me that everyone is the same. No one is different.

J.Vielma,R.M 34,Age 11

6. I read the book Someone Named Eva by Joan Wolf. This book was very sad because when you are Eva’s age and you taken away from your family I would have been terrified.How horrible to go to a camp and not speak German.Even more to be brainwashed and get a new family. Then get a new brother and a new sister and a dad that is German who kills people. The book is sad.

Y.CONTRERAS, AGE 11, RM 39

7. This spectacular book was amazing. It is a fight for identity loss. She gets taken away from her family and gets adopted by a new family, but she can`t remember the girl back in Lidice. It`s just of herself not forgeting herself.
    The book is sweet. I think Hitler should had been caught,but he should not be killed cause not even he diserved to die. We are not God. We don`t choose who lives and who dies.

E.H., age 11 room 34

8. In my fifth grade class, I read the story Someone Named Eva. I thought that story was heart breaking because no one should be treated differently. We are all humans even though we are fat, skinny, tall, or short. No one should be treated differently because what if they have a family that is Jewish or the perfect German family . They have the perfect skin color eye color, hair color. Nobody is pERfect . In life, whoever reads this, never jugde a book by its cover. In other words, never judge someone you don’t know. What ever you say to someone can come back to you.

C.Martinez, age 11, RM 34

9. I read Someone Named Eva. It was so sad what happened to them in Germany. If anyone reads this book at Centeno,please dont laugh because right now half of us would be dead. This is because you don”t have the proper German language,hair,eyes.So the ones that have a heart,imagine that you were there and taken forever. How would it make you feel? Please also tell your freinds its not funny to laugh at them. Right back then you would know how they were treated. One more thing I would like to say is that Centeno Elementry School is amazing because we would never ever do that in Centeno Elementary School. J.Bernal,age 11, rm 39

10. In my 5th grade class, we read Someone Named Eva. It is a devastating story about losing others. I learned that it’s not right to treat people how you don’t want to be treated. I’m glad the author wrote this book. It made a difference in my life. T.C., age 11 room 34

11. In 5th grade, we read the book Someone Named Eva. I thank the author because if she had not written the novel, I would not have learned very important lessons. Like you can’t treat people wrongly by their beliefs and for their color if they have not done something wrong to you. Those wonderful lessons are changing people’s lives and my life forever. Thank you Joan Wolf for writing such a heatbreaking novel.

E.G., age 11 room 34

12. In fifth grade, we just finished reading the novel Someone Named Eva. I give thanks to the author for writing this book because it made a change in my life. I now know the history of Germany and how they used to treat those innocent people. My question is what did those people do to Hitler? The lesson I learned was that nobody has the right to treat people badly just because they hate them.I loved the book Someone Named Eva. A.Cardenas ,room 34,age10

13. In Mrs.Castaneda’s class we read the book Someone Named Eva. This novel really moved me. It taught me that it is not right to treat people differently because of their beliefs. I don’t think Hitler had the right to kill people for their religon and beliefs. Joan M. Wolf did an excellent job writing this book and including some information on World War II. People need to respect and treat people equally no matter their race,religon, or beliefs. I can’t believe a person could do something so cruel. If you want to read a great and sad book, I recommend Someone Named Eva.

M.Picazio,Rm 34,Age 11

14. In my reading clas, I read a historic fiction book that is Someone Named Eva by Joan M Wolf. I think it was as blue as her eyes because being adopted by a German family and not seeing her mother for four years. When I was reading the book, I felt like as it would be happening to me. One thing I learned was to never judge someone by how they look and who they worship.

A.C. age 10 rm. 34

15. In my reading class, we read the book,Someone Named Eva by Joan Wolf. I think that all Jewish people are supposed to be treated equal as the other people that are not Jewish. What we do to the Jewish, one day that is going to happen to you. Do not judge people on how they look. R.C AGE 12 RM 34

16. In reading class, we read the novel Someone Named Eva. This is a beautiful story, filled with emotions. I loved this book because it taught me that no matter what happens, be brave and remember your family. Eva has to go through so much, as she tries to remember her identity, her her language, and her family. The only thing she had that kept her from forgetting herself, or lose hope, was her grandmother’s pin. Eva was very kind hearted. Unlike Hitler, she didn’t do anything to Germans even though she didn’t like them. When Eva gets adopted by a German family she loves them like if they were her own family, and they loved her also. I learned that no matter what a person believes in, or how they look, we should always treat people equally.

M.Cavazos, Rm 34, age 11

17. In my homeroom class, we just finished reading the book Someone Named Eva by Joan Wolf. This book is beautiful and very emotional. I loved this book because I learned about the historical events from World War II. When I heard that Hitler would kill Jews, I thought how could a human being be so cruel as the devil? I was so shocked that I could barely breathe. Now that I know what happened in World War II I can stop it from happening in the future. My lesson was that no matter what kind you are we all treat each other equally. I really enjoyed reading this novel & I want to say thank you to the author Joan Wolf. She did a great job writing this novel. If you like historical fiction books, I recommend this novel. You will like it.

M.Loyola R.M 34 Age 11

18. In my fith grade class, we read the novel Someone Named Eva. I thought it was a heart breaking story. In my opinion, I thought the most important lesson was that you should never treat people diffrently just because there not like you . If any of you kids like stories that will change your heart I recommend you read Someone Named Eva. J.M, RM34, Age11

19. In 5th grade, I read the book Someone Named Eva. This book is full of emotions. When she was taken that day, she hoped for everything to turn out alright. But it turns out it didn’t go as she thought it would. She goes through all this pressure and tries to remember her true identity. She says the words “Milada, Milada,Milada. She says that because her grandmother said to never forget about her family and her memories. She starts to like her new adoptive family because they love her as their own. What I learned was to treat people equally because we are all the same. We are humans.

C.Sims age 11 rm. 34

20. Someone Named Eva is a book that you will not want to stop reading.The author of this novel did a phenomenal job because it keeps you interested and in suspense all thoughout the chapters.This book is very heartwarming. I admire the way Milada/Eva was so strong and brave during the three years she was away from her family.
    K.Resendez,age 11,Rm.38

21. In my reading class we read the book Someone Named Eva.The story was very sad and the German characters mentioned were very scary.My favorite character was Eva,she didn’t know what was going to happen to her, but she remembered who she was throughout the three years she was away from her family.I think the author Joan M.Wolf did an awesome job in writing this book.From all the books I’ve read this was by far my favorite one.
    Emily G.,age 11, rm 38

22. In Mrs.Gutierrez’s reading class my class and I just finished reading the book Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. It was very sad in some moments. The book took place when World War II was going on and when people were being killed because they weren’t German. My classmates and I had lumps in our throats because of how touching the story was. I really recommend this book so you could also learn about history.
    B.Benavides,age 11,Rm.38

23. In my Reading class we read the book Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. This book was so intersting. My favorite part was when Eva/Milada went home with her mom,her real mom. I would love to read more books by Joan M. Wolf. When I first started to read this book it was okay, but then suddenly it got my attention. This book is my favorite book from all the one I ‘ve read. If there were more books like Someone Named Eva, I would read every single one!

A.Navarro age 10,Rm 38

24. In my reading class we just finished the book Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. This book was fantastic. It had a lot of things like drama,suspense and action. My favorite part was when, Eva/Milada was reunited with her real mother. This book is amazing,you should read it! You will love it because it has a lot of emotion and it connects with what happened during World War II. Please read this phenomenal book, you will really enjoy it!
    omar m,age 10,rm 38

25. In my reading class I read Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. This story was very emotinal and sad. This book is now one of my favorites. Each chapter will touch your heart. I hope you all like this book as much as I did.
    oziel c., age 11,rm 38

26. In my reading class we read the book Someone Named Eva by Joan M.Wolf. Someone Named Eva was very sad because the Nazis were very mean with the people that weren’t German or fit the Aryan ideal. Eva was always strong. During the three years she remembered what her grandmother told her, to always remember who she was. This is a super awesome book. This is one of the best books I have ever read in my life.
    Miriam G, age 11, RM 38

27. In my reading class my classmates and I read a heartbreaking book called Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. The book was inspired by true events from World War II. This book made me feel bad and sad in some parts and even glad that I wasn’t alive during World War II. The story overwelmed me by how much the character from the book kept trying to remember who she was. I really recommend that you read this incredible book!
    H.Perez, age 11, Rm 38

28. In my Reading class we just finished reading a book called Someone Named Eva. The book was so interesting and sad. It was about a girl named Milada that lived in Lidice, Czechoslovakia. Then one time the Nazis took her away from her family because she looked Aryan. You should really read this book to find out the rest of the story. Each chapter will be better than the previous one!
    A.S., age 11, rm 38

29. In my Reading class we read the book Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. It’s an emotional book. It has exciting parts and sad ones too. It talks obout the Nazis, Hitler, how they lied to the people that weren’t German. I would really recommend that you read this heart-touching book. A.T,age 11,RM 38

30. In my 5th grade Reading class we just finished reading a novel called Someone Named Eva. I recommend that you read this novel because it is interesting and it is based on true events. I couldn’t stop reading it because every chapter got more interesting. I liked the ending because they found Milada and returned her to her real mom. However, it was also sad because almost all of her family died and it was just her mother and her left to face the world alone.
    G.Ancira.,age 11,rm 40

31. I read Someone Named Eva in my Reading class.It was very interesting,but had some sad parts. I liked the part when Milada and her mother found each other. I want to read this book again because it was cool. After reading this book I learned to treat others with respect.
    M. Zapata,age 10, Rm 40

32. In my 5th grade Reading class we just finished reading Someone Named Eva. I recommend that you read this book because it is very heart-touching. It makes you imagine that you are in the story. I also thought this story was phenomenal and heartbreaking at the same time. Milada was chosen as an Aryan child while her family was put in concentration camps where they were treated worse than animals! If you are looking for a story about the Holocaust/World War II, I recommend you to read this awesome and heartbreaking book.
    Ailish V.,Rm 40 age 11

33. In 5th grade,I read Someone Named Eva. When I was reading Someone Named Eva,I wanted to stop reading it. I wanted to stop reading it because it made me feel bad about what they did to those people. I felt like tears were rolling down my face. Thank you Joan Wolf for writing this book. I did like it.

34. I really liked this book because it was about real events that happened when Hitler was leader of Germany during World War II. I really recommend this book to you because it was very intresting. Once you start reading it you will never want to stop!
    Susana O., age 11, room 40

35. I read a book called Someone Named Eva. It was full of excitement,thrills,some emotional chapters,and chills. This book is both historical and clearly interesting. It may be fiction, but the events are real. The story is very heart touching. I felt bad for the Jews; they were people too! In this story,the Jews were treated worse than animals. However, the ending made me very happy, so I hope you read this book.
    Noel B.,age 11,Rm 40

36. I just finished reading the book Someone Named Eva. This book was about how people suffered during three years under the harmful hand of Nazis and Hitler. In the story the characters are not real, but the events were true. This reminds me of my grandfather because he was in the army saving people from the Holocaust. This book is wonderful, I recommend that you read it because it is full of amazing and emotional feelings that will just take over you!
    s.venegas,age11,Rm36

37. I really enjoyed reading Someone Named Eva because it was exciting and mysterious. I recommend this book because it was cool and it is based on true/similar events that took place during World War II. The characters are fictional, but some of the events in story are true. I felt sad reading about what these people had to go through just because their religion and race was different from Hitler’s.
    C. Rdz., age 11, Rm40

38. In Mrs.Gutierrez’s 5th grade class, we read the book called Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. I really liked this book because of all the mysterious moments it had. It will make you understand how the Nazis were and what they did. It also taught me that we should learn from this and not let it happen again. Even though I didn’t know them,I will always remember the people who died during the Holocaust,like Milada did,remember always.
    CT,age 11,RM 36

39. Someone Named Eva is an emotion-changing book.I liked the book because it’s based on true events and because it has a sad parts, but happy ending. The sad part was when…well I can’t say, you have to read it and find out for yourself!!!
    JT,age 11,RM 36

40. This book was a wonderful,emotional book. The book really deserves six stars. I even felt like if I was Eva. The author did an outstanding job writing this must-read book. If I was judge,I would give her a special award for making this story touch our hearts and open our eyes. I would really want to read another book of hers. Even though the characters are fictinal, the events she included in the story were real.
    J.RAMOS, AGE 11, ROOM 36

41. In my Reading class my classmates and I read the book “Someone Named Eva.” It was suspenseful,sad, and sometimes exciting. My favorite part was when Milada/Eva was finally reunited with her mother. I thought that at the end everybody was going to be happy, but something happened that threw me off. I am not going to tell you because I don’t want to spoil it for you! Even though the characters were not real, the events were. The Jews were treated like animals or even worse! I can’t believe this happened, but it did and I’m glad it already end.
    J.M age 11, Rm 36

42. Someone Named Eva was a really emotional book. I really loved it. I just couldn’t imagine being taken away to a concentration/ work camp and being treated worse than dogs. What Hitler did was wrong. I don’t think he thought twice before doing what he did. He was just heartless. The Jews weren’t supposed to be treated like they were. They were innocent human beings, they didn’t deserve that treatment!

M.Reyes,age 11,RM36

43. In my reading class, I read the book Someone Named Eva. It was sad when they treated the Jews unfairly, like animals. When they did that, my heart was broken. If you want to read a book that is emotional, I recommend you to read the book Someone Named Eva. M.Cazares,room39,age11

44. Its great to know that you are expanding your literary horizons. Learning about the past and not forgetting it makes you a greater reader. Great job 5th graders.

Ms.Perales